To determine which dotCMS objects (Sites, Folders, Containers, Templates, Pages, etc.), will be accessible to a user, edit the user and select the Permissions tab.
- The user permissions specify the permissions for an individual user account.
- Each user also has Permissions assigned based on the Roles assigned to them.
- The user's Permissions are the most Permissive of both the user Permissions and the Permissions of all Roles they've been assigned.
- It is recommended that you assign as many permissions as possible through Roles, rather than assigning permissions directly to individual user accounts.
- In almost all cases it is much easier to manage permissions through Roles.
- Even if an individual user needs special permissions, those permissions may be assigned to a Role, and that Role may be assigned to only that user (and that Role can then later be easily assigned to a different user if needed).
Single Site or Folder
To assign a user Permissions for a Site or a specific folder:
- Select the Site or folder from the Add Host/Folder drop down box.
- Press the Add button.
- Assign the rights for each object type.
- Press the Apply Changes button.