Welcome to the dotCMS documentation site. This site contains the documentation for the latest dotCMS release.
- If you're new to dotCMS, we recommend that you review the Requirements page, install dotCMS using the Quick Start Guide, and read the Tutorial: Day One document to begin building your dotCMS site.
- To access dotCMS documentation on specific topics, please select the appropriate section on the navigation bar to the left, or select from the detailed table of contents at the bottom of this page.
- Documentation on prior release versions can be found under the Older Versions documentation section.
- To view what's new in the latest dotCMS releases, please see the What's New section, below.
- For more detailed information on changes in dotCMS 3.6 and previous dotCMS versions, please see the dotCMS Change Log.
- Please also browse our growing Video library for instructions and walkthroughs of many dotCMS key features.
dotCMS Versions and Changes
Each of the following sections outlines some of the major changes in the most recent dotCMS releases.
- For more information on any of these releases, please see the dotCMS Change Log.
- For documentation on any version other than the latest dotCMS release, please visit the Older Versions documentation section.
What's New in dotCMS 3.6.0
dotCMS 3.6.0 is a major release that adds a number of new features and improvements, including the following:
- Multilingual Features
- Translation Actionlet: A new translation actionlet has been added, which allows you to create workflow actions to automatically translate content against Google's translation API.
- Multilingual Files: You can now add multiple versions of the same files in different languages.
- Finnish Translation: The dotCMS back-end has now been translated into Finnish. For more information on selecting the backend language in dotCMS, please see the Logging in to dotCMS documentation.
- Performance Features
- New H2 Cache: A new version of the H2 cache has been added with significant performance, scalability, and error handling improvements.
- Note: The original version of the H2 cache is still supported for backward compatibility.
- Improved Cache Performance: The way the default cache region is used has been changed to reduce the size of the default cache region and improve performance of cache regions which do not have their own cache chain specified.
- Additional Features and Improvements
dotCMS version 3.5.1 is a maintenance release which adds some performance improvements and fixes a number of reported issues in the 3.5 release. Note that all fixes in the 3.5.1 release are already included in the dotCMS 3.6 release.
There are two major new features in dotCMS 3.5 which enable you to customize the display of your site for different users:
- The Visitors feature provides you with information about each user who visits to your site, including current information (such as user location, language and platform), and historical information (such as the tags of content the user has visited in the past).
- The Personas feature allows you to define different types of users, and then serve content to each user based on which type of user you've identified them as.
- The new pullPersonalized method automatically combines the built-in personalization features of both Visitors and Personas, enabling you to easily pull and sort personalized content for different users, displaying the content most relevant to those users at the top of the pull results.
In addition to these major new features, dotCMS 3.5 also now allows you to sort ElasticSearch queries by score, including giving different weights to different search terms, so the content most relevant to the search terms is automatically displayed at the top of the search results.
dotCMS version 3.3.2 is a maintenance release which fixes some reported security issues in the 3.3.1 release. Note that all fixes in the 3.3.2 release are already included in the dotCMS 3.5 release.
dotCMS version 3.3.1 is a maintenance release which adds some performance improvements and fixes a number of reported issues in the 3.3 release. Note that all fixes in the 3.3.1 release are already included in the dotCMS 3.5 release.
- dotCMS 3.3 includes several new cache features and improvements for Enterprise license customers:
- A new cache chain feature which enables multiple cache providers to be configured for each cache region.
- Support for Redis cache servers (including Amazon Elasticache) and a new Timed Cache provider.
- The ability to add new, custom cache providers.
- dotCMS 3.3 has been upgraded to log4j version 2.
- Many improvements have been made to Push Publishing and the Integrity Checker, including automatic detection and resolution of many complex inconsistencies without user intervention.
- Several improvements were made to the Reindexing feature, including improvements to the handling of errors and additional reindexing actions and options.
- dotCMS version 3.2 and higher run on Java 8!
- However you may still run dotCMS 3.2 on Java 7.
- Elasticsearch has been updated to support +contentType and +baseType
- New Workflow Actionlets
Pages are a new Content Type in dotCMS 3.1.
- Convert Legacy HTML Pages to Content
- Bulk Legacy HTML Page Migration Utility
- Creating a Page Content Type
- Adding a Page
- Adding a Custom Page
- Searching for a Page
- Site Browser Language Version Controls
- New Installation Documentation
- Upgrading to dotCMS 3.0
- H2DB Support
- Multiple Content-Types on Containers
- Server Side Compiling of Sass & Less Files
- Cluster Status
- Running dotCMS in a WAR
- Content API JSONP Support
- New License Manager
- Calling Remote Widgets (introduced in 2.5.6)
- Content Contributor
- Building Sites
- Useful Methods
- Request, Response and Session
- Tag based Caching (Block Cache)
- Custom Viewtool Example
- Velocity Best Practices
- Built-in Variables & Reserved Words
- Velocity User's Guide
- Velocity Developer's Guide
- Why Velocity?
- Content Object in Velocity
- Page Content in Velocity
- Integration Tools
- Push Publishing
- What to Know Before Push Publishing
- Connecting Remote Servers
- Integrity Checker
- Push Publishing Content
- Publishing Pages
- Publishing Queue
- Publishing Status
- Publishing from the Content Manager
- Publishing Hosts and Folders
- Publishing Dynamic Plugins
- Publishing Users
- Publishing Content Types
- Publishing Categories
- Publishing Links
- Publishing Languages
- Push Publishing Workflow Action
- Push Publishing Dependencies
- Troubleshooting Push Publishing
- User Management
- Site Search
- Multi-Site Management
- Multilingual Sites
- How To - Tutorials