Each content item in dotCMS is an instance of a Content Type. The Content Type specifies all of the following:
- What data (in the form of fields) can be added to a content item of that Content Type.
- Which fields are required and which are optional.
- The default Permissions applied to items of the Content Type.
- The location where items of the Content Type are stored (and thus whether they inherit Permissions from the Content Type itself, or a dotCMS Site or folder).
- What Workflow Scheme applies to items of the Content Type.
- Whether or not items of the Content Type are accessible via a URL Map.
The dotCMS starter site comes with a number of Content Types created for you, and you can create your own Content Types to represent the data you wish to display on your site (such as Products, Promotions, Blog entries, etc.).
Note: It may be helpful for developers to think of each Content Type as if it was a database table, with each content item as a row in the table. For more information, please see the Content as Data documentation.
Base Content Types
There are several Base Content Types (such as Files, Pages and Wigets). Some Base Types contain (and require) certain system fields unique to that type of content; for some Base Types, it may be necessary for the system fields to be filled out for a successful contribution of content of any Content Type derived from that Base Type. For example,
Every Content Type must be created from one of these Base Types, and inherits the system fields from the Base Type it is created from.
Placing Content of a Given Content Type on a Page
Containers and Templates can be used to specify which Content Types will be allowed in different areas on a Page. In addition, Containers can control which fields of each Content Type will (or will not) display on the Page and how each field will be displayed when content of that Content Type is placed on a Page.
For more information on Content Types, please see the sections below.
- Content Repository
- Base Content Types
- Content Type Fields
- Creating a Content Type
- Creating a Page Content Type
- Content Type Permissions
- Creating a Simple Widget
- URL Map - SEO Friendly URLs