To view a Page in Edit Mode, click the "Lock for Editing" option under the Preview and Live tabs on the top left side of the Page. The Page shown below in Edit Mode is using a two column Template that is parsing (including), a header, footer, and two content Containers in the Body section of the Page.
Opening a Page in dotCMS displays a collapsible column of tools on the left hand side of the Page with three different tabs across the top- Edit (Page must be locked for editing), Preview, and Live. This section describes the functionality/tools/views available in Edit Mode.
The Edit Mode on a Page provides the user with a back-end user permissioned view of the Page and the content displaying on the page. In Edit mode a user can make changes to the page such as adding content, but the changes to that page are not reflected "live" until the "Publish Page" button is clicked.
A collapsible toolbar on the left hand column buttons displays the following buttons:
- Publish Page - Publishes the Page so all changes to the Page or additions of content become "live"
- Add to Bundle - Adds the Page to a bundle for Push Publishing
- Assign Workflow - Allows the Content Contributor to assign the Page to another user/role in a Workflow Task
- Page Properties - brings the user to the Add/Edit Page view where Page Properties, Page Permissions, and Page Versions can be managed.
- Page Statistics - brings the user to the Web Statistics Page view where users can view and filter Page statistics
- Edit Template - allows the user to edit the Template that the current Page is using. This button only displays if a user has permissions to the Template.
- Create New Page - add a new Page (of the same Page Content Type)
- Admin Screen - quits the editing process on the Page and returns the user to the Website Browser
A new piece of content (shown highlighted in red), has been added to the main column on the Page in the Edit Mode. If you are not familiar with the process of adding new content to a Page, please see review the documentation section on how to Add Content to a Page. The add/edit content tools are available to the user only in Edit mode on the Page. To preview what the changes/additions look like on the page without these tools, review the Page in Preview Mode.
Publishing Changes: After using Preview Mode to review how the new content will look on the Page, use the Publish Page button to commit the changes to be viewed "live" on the Page from the front end. Live Mode can be used to view the last published version of a Page.
In Edit Mode, the visibility/accessibility of all content is based on backend user permissions only. If a front end user login is being used on the Page, use the Preview or Live tabs to login as a specific front end user and preview content from that user's perspective.