You must assign one or more Workflow Schemes to each Content Type. The Workflow Schemes assigned to a Content Type determine what Workflow Actions are available to users when they edit and manage content of the Content Type.
If a Content Type has only one Workflow Scheme assigned to it, then only Workflow Actions from that Scheme will ever be available to content of that Content Type, and the content can only progress through the Workflow Steps defined in that one Scheme.
- Assigning Workflow Schemes to a Content Type
- Workflow Actions for Content with Multiple Schemes
- Default Workflow Actions
Assigning Workflow Schemes to a Content Type
To assign one or more Workflow Schemes to a Content Type:
- Open the
Types & Tags->
- Select the Content Type you wish to assign a Workflow Scheme to.
- In the Content Type editing screen, select the EDIT button at the top of the screen.
- Click the Workflow field, and select which Workflow Schemes you want to be assigned to the Content Type.
Note: Since the Workflow Actions available to any content item depend on the Workflow Step (and thus the Workflow Scheme) that it is already in, if you add a new Workflow Scheme to a Content Type, the Actions from the new Scheme will not be available to any existing content of that Content Type which are already in a Workflow Step. For more information, please see Workflow Actions Available to a Content with Multiple Schemes, below.
Workflow Actions for Content with Multiple Schemes
If a Content Type has been assigned more than one Workflow Scheme, then content items of that Content Type may progress through the Workflow Steps of any of the assigned Workflow Schemes.
- When you first create a new content item of the Content Type, you will have the choice of taking appropriate Workflow Actions from all of the Workflow Schemes assigned to the Content Type.
- However each content item may only be in one Workflow Scheme at a time.
- So once you perform a Workflow Action from any of the Workflow Schemes assigned to the Content Type, the content item will be moved into a Workflow Step from that Scheme, and the only Workflow Actions that will be available on that content item from that point forward are Workflow Actions from the Workflow Scheme that first Action belongs to.
- Once a content item has been moved into a specific Workflow Scheme, it may only be moved out of that Scheme by a Workflow Action which performs the Reset Workflow Sub-Action.
- After you take an Action that resets the Workflow on a content item, you can once again choose an appropriate action from any of the Workflow Schemes assigned to the Content Type (as if the content item was new).
Default Workflow Actions
When you perform an operation on content using a method which doesn't execute a specific Workflow Action - such as when Push Publishing the content to a remote server or saving the content using [WebDAV] - the operation will be performed using the Default Workflow Action specified in the Content Type for that operation.
The Default Actions for each operation are defined in the Content Type properties. Which Default Action is used depends on the type of operation being performed on the content; you may specify different default actions for different types of operations such as SAVE or PUBLISH.
The following operations may each be assigned a different Default Workflow Action within each Content Type:
|NEW||New content created||New file uploaded using WebDAV; New content created via save or publish with the Content API.|
|EDIT||Content edited||File contents replaced via WebDAV or Push Publishing.|
|PUBLISH||Content published||File published via WebDAV, or content Published via Push Publishing.|
|UNPUBLISH||Content unpublished||Unpublished content pushed via Push Publishing.|
|ARCHIVE||Content archived||File deleted via WebDAV, Archived content pushed via Push Publishing.|
|UNARCHIVE||Content unarchived||Unarchived content pushed via Push Publishing.|
|DELETE||Single content version deleted|
|DESTROY||All content versions deleted|
When Default Workflow Actions are Performed
Default Workflow Actions will be performed in the following circumstances: