You can deploy dotCMS as a .WAR on a variety of application servers.
Building the WAR File
The dotCMS distribution includes a buildwar script in the /bin directory that generates a dotcms.war file and places it in a new WAR directory. The war file generated includes all static plugins in the plugins directory, and can be used with any supported application server.
The WAR file includes configuration files and static plugins for use with your Application Server, but each application server requires some specific configuration steps. Make sure to read the section on your individual application server for specific configuration instructions.
Follow these steps to properly deploy dotCMS as a .WAR:
- Make sure your static plugins are in your /plugins directory.
- If running Tomcat application server ONLY:
- Before building your .WAR file, configure your database in the dotserver/tomcat-X.X.XX/webapps/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml file.
- Run the buildwar script from the dotCMS /bin directory.
- This creates a /WAR folder in the dotCMS distribution, and creates a dotcms.war file in the /WAR folder.
- Make specific configuration changes required for your Application Server.
- Move the WAR file to the location required by your Application Server.
Changing dotCMS Configuration Properties
Configuration changes made to dotCMS will automatically be included when you build the WAR file. Any changes you make to the configuration in the dotCMS distribution after you build the WAR file will not be included when you run dotCMS from the WAR file. To make changes to the configuration after building the WAR file, you must either:
- Rebuild and redeploy the WAR file, or
- Change the dotCMS configuration properties outside the WAR file.
Changing Configuration Outside the WAR File
You can make changes to the dotCMS configuration outside the WAR file by overriding dotCMS configuration properties using using environment variables and system variables. This enables you to easily deploy the same WAR file to multiple dotCMS servers and environments, while still providing specific configuration options and changes for each deployment.
For more information on changing dotCMS configuration properties, please see the Changing dotCMS Configuration Properties documentation.
Supported Application Servers
WAR deployment is supported in the following application servers. Please click the appropriate link below for information about specific configuration steps required for your application server: