dotCMS Releases version 2.2
Oct 10, 2012
dotCMS Unveils 2.2 with Dynamic Spring Plugins using OSGi
Miami, Florida | Boston, Massachusetts – October 10, 2012 – dotCMS, an open source, Java-based web content management system, is pleased to announce the release of v2.2. Continuing to build on the solid momentum and marketplace success of the dotCMS 2.0 series, this latest release unveils dynamic plugins (OSGI), form-builder enhancements, front-end content editing, a starter site with mobile first Responsive (twitter’s bootstrap) design, improved index management as well as several other user and performance upgrades.
“Since introducing Spring MVC in the 2.0 series, we've wanted to take our plugin architecture to another level for dotCMS developers.” said Will Ezell, CTO of dotCMS. “2.2 brings in the ability to hot-swap Spring web apps, servlets and content hooks without a server restart and adds tremendous power for developers looking to use dotCMS as a platform for Rapid Java Application development. Along with other improvements and upgrades in version 2.2, dotCMS’s R&D is on pace to continue rolling out meaningful and practical features and functionality -- meeting the real needs of developers and business users in the marketplace.”
Overview of Changes
Dynamic Plugin/OSGi Improvements
- With the new dotCMS Dynamic Plugins, web app developers can hot swap Spring MVC Apps, Servlets, ViewTools, Content Hooks, etc. without a server restart.
- Many more examples are provided under http://dotcms.com/docs/latest/DynamicPlugins.
- Added framework controls to Dynamic Plugins in the UI. Administrators can reload/restart the Framework from the UI without restarting the application.
Starter Site uses Responsive HTML Framework (Bootstrap)
- Build mobile ready sites out of the box.
- New responsive templating using Twiiter Bootstrap Framework.
- Automatically size templates and images based on client viewport size, for phones, tablets and computers.
Front End Content Forms
- Added the #submitContentEdit macro - content can be added and edited by site visitors with proper permissions.
- Custom fields are now supported on the Front End of dotCMS Forms and SubmitContent Macro.
CMIS Library Update
- Updated to the latest Chemistry Open CMIS 0.7 libraries
- RESTful XML/ATOM read write access to content repository
Related Content Improvements
- You can now select multiple Contents to relate at once.
- When relating Content you can filter by language.
- The Relationship Field UI is much improved when saving content for dotCMS installs with multiple languages.
- Added new methods to the Restful API for Index Management providing easier backup/restore functionality.
- Aliases now work and SiteSearch Indices can now be managed from the API.
- The following methods have been added getIndexName,getIndexStatus,getIndexRecordCount,getNotActiveIndexNames,StopReindexThread, startReindexThread, getReindexThreadStatus.
General Backend Enhancements
- Error Pages - You can now control the logo on the default error pages ie.. 403, 404, 500.
- dotCMS Browser - You can now copy/paste at root level of Host.
- The Drop Old Assets and Fix Asset Inconsistencies are much improved in both performance and functionality.
Overview of Fixes/Improvements
- Permission performance is hugely improved, especially on large installations.
- Re-index performance is greatly improved - by a factor of 10 on some installs.
- Upgraded WebDav library and fixed many bugs with WebDav including issues with limited users.
- Upgraded CMIS from the aging Chemistry-1.0 libs to the latest OpenCMIS 0.7.0. Implemented the RESTful atom interfaces for read /write access to the content repository.
- Fixed issues with Site Search fields not be fully searchable.
- Fixed the issue with the WEB-INF/binary directory needing to be on the same partition as the Assets directory in clustered installations.
- The Autoupdater uses hardlinks for assets now to help with disk space.
- URL Map Content has much improved multiple language support.
- DOJO has been upgraded to 1.8 for latest Browser support.
- Upgraded Elastic Search to 0.19.9.
- Upgraded TinyMCE to 3.5.7.
- dotCMS will now respect the URL you are trying to hit when not logged into the backend. This allows you to go right to the correct tooling/portlet in the backend.
- Admin console fully translated into Chinese, French, Italian, Dutch, German, Russian, and Spanish.
Things to Know
dotCMS is a leading, open source content and customer experience management platform for companies that want innovation and performance driving their websites and other content-driven applications. Extensible and massively scalable, both small and large organizations can rapidly deliver personalized and engaging content across browsers, mobile devices, channels, second screens and endpoints -- all from a single system.
Founded in 2003, dotCMS is a privately owned US company with offices in Miami, Florida; Boston, Massachusetts and San Jose, Costa Rica. With a global network of certified development partners and an active open source community, dotCMS has generated more than a half-million downloads and thousands of implementations and integration projects worldwide. Notable dotCMS customers include: Telus, Standard & Poors, Hospital Corporation of America, Royal Bank of Canada, DirecTV, Thomson Reuters, China Mobile, Aon, and DriveTest Ontario.