dotCMS 1.9.2 Adds Performance, SEO and End User Tools
Mar 29, 2011
dotCMS has made 1.9.2 available to the community and general marketplace. This is the second major release of new features and improvements since dotCMS rolled out the 1.9 series back in July of 2010 and features a number of improvements geared toward performance, scalability and ease of use.
“1.9.2 represents a leap forward for dotCMS. We and our global network of partners have established a solid pace in rolling out features and community plugins,” commented Will Ezell, CTO of dotCMS. “We are seeing the 1.9 series take a strong hold in the marketplace and the changes in 1.9.2 speaks to dotCMS’ continued focus on the meeting the needs of both the enterprise and of their end user.”
1.9.2 has also been benchmarked on both cloud and physical servers and shown to scale extremely well horizontally and vertically – serving over 4,600 transactions a second across a variety of page types. The complete performance report can be found here: http://bit.ly/eaxUuS
New Features Include:
- Online Image Editor allows content contributors to edit images without needing additional software. Users can resize, crop, rotate, "save as" different image types and adjust hue, saturation, brightness and coloration of images stored in dotCMS.
- New Image Renditions and Clipboard allows content editors to use edited versions (renditions) of source images without having to store multiple versions of the same image. An Image clipboard allows users to create the rendition they want to use, add it to their clipboard, and paste it into their content for re-use.
- Inline Editing allows content editors frictionless editing of site content, inline, without needing to return to the admin portal.
- Host Dashboard gives web site owners and marketers a snapshot of key site trends and usage statistics.
- Activity Stream Reporter provides web managers detailed reports into content contributors’ and other users' usage and activity within the web content management system.
- Page Caching allows an administrator to cache pages statically for a set period of time for maximum scalability.
- Extended SEO Descriptions and Keywords give page editors fine grained control over relevant SEO metadata.
- Cache Tags give web developers a way to statically cache arbitrary blocks of template, container, page or content code to increase page performance.
- New Auto Updater allows for easier system upgrades and helps insure you are running the latest version of dotCMS.
- Italian Language translation now included out of the box.
- All images and icons used in the back end of dotCMS are rendered as sprites, using just 2 images. This improves browser performance considerably.
- New Recurring Events functionality now stores singlely in the system, allowing individual events in a series to be disconnected and making overall event editing much quicker.
- Content can now be imported using the content identifier as the primary key, which facilitates batch editing of large numbers of content objects.
- A number of minor bug fixes and performance improvements.
- Admin log tracks who, where and what of major system operations and functions.
dotCMS is a leading, open source content and customer experience management platform for companies that want innovation and performance driving their websites and other content-driven applications. Extensible and massively scalable, both small and large organizations can rapidly deliver personalized and engaging content across browsers, mobile devices, channels, second screens and endpoints -- all from a single system.
Founded in 2003, dotCMS is a privately owned US company with offices in Miami, Florida; Boston, Massachusetts and San Jose, Costa Rica. With a global network of certified development partners and an active open source community, dotCMS has generated more than a half-million downloads and thousands of implementations and integration projects worldwide. Notable dotCMS customers include: Telus, Standard & Poors, Hospital Corporation of America, Royal Bank of Canada, DirecTV, Thomson Reuters, China Mobile, Aon, and DriveTest Ontario.