The HTML Page shown below is using a two column Template that is parsing (including), a header, footer, and two content containers.
Opening an HTML page in the dotCMS displays a collapsible column of tools on the left hand side of the HTML page with three different tabs across the top- Edit, Preview, and Live. This section describes the functionality/tools/views available in each mode.
The Edit Mode on an HTML page provides the user with a back-end user permissioned view of the HTML Page and the content displaying on the page. In Edit mode a user can make changes to the page such as adding content, but the changes to that page are not reflected "live" until the "Publish Page" button is clicked.
A collapsible toolbar on the left hand column buttons displays the following buttons:
- Publish Page - Publishes the HTML page so all changes to the HTML page or additions of content become "live" on the webpage
- Page Properties - brings the user to the Add/Edit HTML Page portlet where basic and advanced HTML page properties, page Permissions, and Versions can be managed.
- Page Statistics - brings the user to the Web Statistics of HTML Page portlet where users can view and filter page statistics
- Edit Template - allows the user to edit the Template that the current HTML page is using. This button only displays if a user has permissions to the Template.
- Create New Page - add a new HTML page
- Admin Screen - quits the editing process on the HTML page and returns the user to the Website Browser
A new piece of content (shown highlighted in red), has been added to the main column on the HTML page in the Edit Mode. If you are not familiar with the process of adding new content to an HTML page, please see review the documentation section on how to Add Content to an HTML Page. The add/edit content tools are available to the user only in Edit mode on the HTML page. To preview what the changes/additions look like on the page without these tools, review the page in Preview Mode.
Publishing Changes: After using Preview Mode to review how the new content will look on the page, use the Publish Page button to commit the changes to be viewed "live" on the page from the frontend. Live Mode can be used to view the last published version of an HTML Page.
In Edit Mode, the visibility/accessibility of all content is based on backend user permissions only. If a front end user login is being used on the page, use the Preview or Live tabs to login as a specific frontend user and preview content from that user's perspective.