A campaign is a scheduled task to send out a specific communication to a particular mailing list.
The prerequisites for creating a campaign involve having a communication which to send, and a mailing list of users to whom the communication will be sent. When these two dotCMS objects have been created, a campaign can then be established to schedule the delivery of the communication to the users on the mailing list.
To create a new campaign, first hover over the "Email Marketing" tab and click "Campaigns". Begin creating the campaign by clicking the "Create New Campaign" button. Fill out the following fields as in the images below:
- Title: Title of identify this campaign in the dotCMS
- Active: Campaigns need to be active to send out emails. This checkbox activates/deactivates emails sent out by this campaign.
- Start Date: Sets date for emails to begin sending
- Expiration Date: date that campaign and emails will end
- Mails Sent Per Hour: Sets a limit on the number of emails sent out per hour to manage load on mail server
- Communication: Select box that allows users to choose an existing communication to be sent by the campaign
- Allow Duplicates: In some cases emails are recurrent but you may/may not wish the same user to receive the email twice. The allow duplicates checkbox allows users to set whether the same user should receive more than one email from a campaign.
- Send to: Allows users to choose a mailing list or a filter that has been used to "tag" or aggregate a group of users on the backend of dotCMS- these will become the recipients of the email campaign.
- Campaign Occurs: Sets the campaign for single or recurrent delivery*
*After setting a campaign to occur recurrently requires that some attributes for that recurrent delivery be set on the "Recurrence" tab of the campaign. Recurrent campaigns require that a time for delivery and a day of Month/Week be set. Use the fields as shown in the image below to set these two parameters for the recurrent campaign.