dotCMS 2.0 Preview Release
Mar 02, 2012
dotCMS is pleased to announce the availability of an initial Preview Release of dotCMS 2.0 (click to download). There are hundreds of improvements in the codebase and in underlying functionality.
We recommend anyone getting started with the dotCMS platform to use the 2.0 preview release as their starting point.
Highlights of the 2.0 release include:
New Customizable/Extendable Workflow Engine
Files as Content
- Allows the creation of multiple, muli-level workflow schemes for content and files.
- Workflows can trigger customizable subactions.
- Different content type can have different workflows.
- New file types can be created, fields can be customized on a per filetype basis.
- URL addressable binary files with all the benefits of being content.
- CDN friendly pathing to image manipulation with no query strings.
- Greatly improved Multi-file uploads
ElasticSearch replaces (wraps) lucene for performance and horizontal scalability
- Metadata/content is extracted from files and is indexed and made searchable, including full-text indexing. This allows for document management solutions to be created using the dotCMS platform.
Pessimistic Content Check-in / Checkout
- Index Replication/Auto-sharding
- Index once, available everywhere in clustered installations.
- Allows index infrastructure to scale separately from dotCMS installation based on an implementation’s need.
Content Editing UI improvements
- Content can be locked for editing - only the editing user or CMS Administrators can release the lock.
Key/Value Field Type
- Workflows and content locking are integrated into an improved content editing UI.
Data Model/API Improvements
- Allows a content type an unlimited number of values that can be determined when the content is being entered – think the specifications page for various electronic products in an ecommerce environment.
- Content state has been moved to a separate table
- Identifiers, live and working versions all enforced by referential integrity
2.0 preview release can be experienced here – note that it is automatically rebuilt every 12h:
public : http://demo.dotcms.com
admin : http://demo.dotcms.com/admin
Login with : email@example.com : admin
Currently, dotCMS 2.0 is targeted to be released in late March 2012. We welcome any questions, issues or feedback!